Mission, Texas- Mission Consolidated Independent School District (CISD) has announced the start of the Mission CISD Virtual Learning Academy, which will offer qualifying students an opportunity to continue their instruction at home.
“We appreciate the support of our state legislature in passing Senate Bill 15,” said Dr. Carol G. Perez, superintendent. “It is through this piece of legislation that we are able to offer a virtual option for students this year.”
Mission CISD will begin accepting applications for the Mission CISD Virtual Learning Academy on September 13th with a start date of September 28th. Applying does not guarantee admittance into the virtual learning academy. The state is limiting the number of students we can accept into the academy to 10% of enrolled students. Therefore, certain conditions must be met to be admitted into the academy.
As per Senate Bill 15 guidelines, to be eligible for participation, students must:
- be enrolled in grades K -12th grade.
- have achieved satisfactory performance or higher on each STAAR assessment taken
during the preceding school year (as applicable);
o if the student did not take the applicable STAAR assessments, an alternate assessment may be used to show grade level proficiency;
- have earned a C or higher in each of the foundation curriculum courses under TEC, §28.002, (i.e., mathematics, science, English language arts and reading, and social studies) taken
during the 20-21 school year;
- have had 10 percent or fewer unexcused absences during the 20-21 school year.
- All applications will be reviewed based on the criteria listed above.
- Students enrolled in the Mission CISD Virtual Learning Academy must maintain adequate attendance, academic performance, and demonstrate appropriate online behavior.
- Students enrolled in the Mission CISD Virtual Learning Academy will return to in-person learning if they are not making adequate academic progress.
- Students enrolled in the Mission CISD Virtual Learning Academy will be required to take the STAAR or EOC assessments in-person at their designated home campus.
- Research shows most students learn better in an in-person learning environment.
To apply, parents must complete the Mission CISD Virtual Learning Academy application on the Parent Portal. The application will be available on Monday, September 13th.
# # #