Know the Danger Zone: The "Danger Zone” is the area on all sides of the bus where children are in the most danger of not being seen by the driver (ten feet in front of the bus where the driver may be too high to see a child, ten feet on either side of the bus where a child may be in the driver’s blind spot, and the area behind the school bus).
Danger zone awareness is crucial to school bus safety. Both the driver and the students need to be aware of the danger zone at all times.
Students Riding a School Bus Should Always
- Arrive at the bus stop five minutes early.
- Stand at least 5 giant steps (10 feet) away from the edge of the road.
- Wait until the bus stops, the door opens, and the driver says it’s okay before stepping onto the bus.
- Be careful that clothing with drawstrings and book bags with straps or dangling objects do not get caught in the handrail or door when exiting the bus.
- Check both ways for cars before stepping off the bus.
Students Crossing the Street Should
- Walk in front of the bus; never walk behind the bus.
- Walk on the sidewalk or along the side of the road to a point at least 10 giant steps ahead of the bus.
- Be sure the bus driver can see them, and they can see the bus driver.
- Wait for the driver’s signal to cross.
Things Students Should Know About School Bus Safety
- The bus driver and others cannot see you if you are standing closer than 10 feet to the bus.
- Stay out of the danger zone!
- If something falls under or near the bus, tell the driver. NEVER try to pick it up yourself!
- While waiting for the bus, stay in a safe place away from the street.
- When you get on or off the bus, look for the bus safety lights and make sure they are flashing.
- Be alert to traffic. When you get on or off the bus, look left, right, left before you enter or cross the street.
- When the driver says it is safe to cross the street, remember to CROSS IN FRONT of the bus.
- Stay in your seat and sit quietly so that the driver is not distracted.
- Some school buses now have seat belts. If you have seat belts on your school bus, be sure to learn to use the seat belt correctly.